Disability Awareness Training
Changing Mindsets a workshop at a time
We are able to offer FREE Disability Awareness Training workshops – either online or on-site – as open programmes (for any employer or HR specialist to attend) or for organisations with more than 6 people wanting to attend, we can provide bespoke workshops.
Here’s what a recent attendee thought of our Disability and Employment course: “Looking back on the sessions, I think the course structure was perfect. The modules covered essential information for employers and the topics were accessible, fun and easy to understand. I really liked the relaxed and inclusive feel with permission to ask questions and “get the language wrong”. The online course format was good because I didn’t have to travel and it was just 1 or 2 hours out of my day. I am very keen to keep learning and would love the opportunity to get involved by offering work experience (or something else) in future.” (July 2020)
Our training is delivered by experienced trainers who have worked in the field of disability or who bring their personal lived experience as a disabled person. Our open programme of workshops are delivered either as a series of modules (online) or as a half-day workshop (if face to face).
Please note for online training: as our project is funded for Devon-based employers, they are our priority for training. However, if your HQ is based outside the county and you want to attend an online course, we will put you on a waiting list for any un-booked places (each workshop has a maximum of 15 places). We will confirm all bookings a week before the first module/workshop starts.
Disability and Employment
This training workshop is delivered either as a half-day session on-site or online as a 5-part series for Managers and those in HR roles to find out more about how to recruit, employ and retain the best talent for your organisation. The five topics covered are:
- An Introduction to Disability Awareness in the Workplace, including Models of Disability, the Equality Act (2010) and Disability Discrimination
- Access to Work Grant – how to apply for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Access to Work grant for employees, including sharing of lived experience by people who have used it
- Reasonable Adjustments – what the Equality Act (2010) requires of employers in terms of disability, such as what are Reasonable Adjustments
- Recruitment and Job Carving – how to provide/ enable an inclusive workplace and recruitment process, including ideas for Job Carving
- Disability Confident Scheme – how to achieve the Disability Confident award to enhance your organisation’s reputation.
Language and Communication – a stand-alone online module which supports delegates to overcome language or communication barriers they may experience when working with disabled colleagues or customers. Ideal for Managers and any customer facing staff.
We limit our workshops (online and onsite) to a maximum of 15 attendees to ensure everyone gets the optimum time for discussion and sharing their experiences. However if more than 6 colleagues from the same organisation wish to attend, we can set up a workshop specifically for you, at a time to suit you.
We are also currently developing a third course, Accessibility for Websites which will be available to book later this year.